Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Frienemy

Friend + Enemy=Frienemy.

This morning on my way to work I was listening to the morning show Mark and Mercedes and they were talking about friends and the difference between guys being friends with guys and girls being friends with girls. Guy friends, for the most part, don't seem to have the same issues that girl friends do. There is just far less drama. Where as girls, for the most part, have so many issues! And it's sooooo true.

Mercedes was describing friends that you like being friends with, have a good time with, but you still don't completely trust, and a lot of the times they are in competition with you about almost anything just to be better than you. She called those friends frienemies. And it's so true. I have friends like that. I grew up with a frienemy. I hated it. It is what has made me walk away from friendships and not deal with the drama then put up with it or learn to deal with it. It's just not worth it.

That makes me sound like I can't commit huh? I'm not like that at all, I am all about forgiveness and a million chances. I can tell after dealing with that one friend for over 10 years when I'm dealing with a frienemy now. And that I have no problem not trying to work past or deal with. I hope my tolerance and patients level is as high as I think it is, but drama espeically in the frienemy area I don't even deal with. The less stress in my life as possible, the better. But I don't hide under a rock either, ya know? :)

It was just an odd closure experience I had this morning while listening to the radio on my way into work. I finally had a name to that one "friend" I've had for so long.

She's a frienemy.
Unfortunately.

No comments: