Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sooo ONO!!

Ono is a Hawaiian word that means good or delicious...and it's what I'm about to talk about! It is said how it looks, O-NO.

Having a dad that is part Hawaiian that grew up there and has family there, I've been lucky enough to have been able to go there a few times. Granted I was fairly young when we did go and I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. I hope to have the opportunity to go back there as an adult and enjoy the islands more fully.

The one thing I did appreciate and really loved as a young naive girl was something I didn't realize was the best of the best until I came back to the main land and have never enjoyed anything quite like it.

That little something is manapua. I first tried it when we were in Hawaii from the best place on earth, Libby's.

It is a special sweet tasty bread roll with meat inside. There are different types of meat for manapuas but the best/my favorite is the one with a sweet roasted pork.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had those from Chinatown in Sydney, Australia, and the kids I was with named then Nuggerpuffs. They ARE good.

Unknown said...

these look a lot like the steamed buns my mom made me as a kid! usually, she would put korean dumpling filling inside but i also remember a kid-friendly version with ham & cheese - gotta love moms :) this must be an "asian thang" and definitely ONO!