Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Saved by Rhapsody in Blue.

I was in a musical rut. I've been searching for some music. I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

So I've been searching. Going through my catalog of music. I have been twirling my finger around that iPod circle, clockwise and counter and...nothing.

I pick something out. Listen to it for a little while. Nah. That didn't hit the musical spot. What's next? Search. Search. Hmm...this one? Listen. Nope. I really thought that one was going to do it for me. But no.

Sigh.

I even threw out a slight pouty lip one night. I was in that much of a musical "uh oh". It was bad.

A week had gone by, maybe even 10 days. I was ho-hummin' to music in my car with no gumption. No real want or desire to car dance or do some head nodding to music at the stop light and owning it...I was stuck, people! Stuck! Stuck with played out music and I didn't know what to do.

Even after many failed attempts. I went through the iPod again. Maybe I missed something. Maybe I wasn't giving something a chance. Then, out of no where. I passed by a name I love and appreciate but forget far too often.

Gershwin.

The musical gates opened and my ears are perked and listening.

The individual and brotherly team of George and Ira Gershwin...one of the most famous Gershwin instrumental songs is "Rhapsody in Blue". Some of the other songs you probably know that have lyrics to them are "I've Got Rhythm" or "Someone to Watch Over Me" or "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off". You know that song Michael Buble sings "A Foggy Day (in London Town)", yep that's a Gershwin song. There are a ton of songs that I don't think we even realize that we love that have been touched by these musical geniuses!


George and Ira Gershwin


Here is a little clip of "Rhapsody in Blue"....






Go to the link I made under the picture of them that will take you to their website and you can hear parts of the songs they have written together and individually.

Amazing.

2 comments:

K and M said...

Lori! I was browsing around blogs of a few of our old friends from "back in the day" and saw your page! So fun! I have actually been doing photography for the last few years too - isn't it the greatest job ever? :) Take a look at our blog if you have a minute - I will be keeping tabs on yours!

K said...

Ahhh, I love this video! Old school, but GoOd school!