Monday, March 1, 2010

Red Rock...White Rock?!

Near the end of January, there was a pretty good storm brewing around the outskirts of the Vegas valley. Red Rock Canyon was one of those places that got a huge pile of snow thrown on it. The funny thing is, further down into the valley, though cold, the temperature was night and day in comparison to how cold it was up at Red Rock. I was dressed somewhat warm, but not nearly as warm as I would have been had I known how cold it was going to be. Same went for a lot of people that were also around taking in the gorgeous snow capped mountains.

For instance, I was standing next to another photographer. We were clicking away and behind us was a few guys around my age standing there watching. They were doing that "I'm cold" jittering wobble as they stood there. They were dressed like I was, hooded sweatshirt, jeans. They had beanies on and I was jealous of that. Finally they said, "Duuuuude! We want to get back into the car!!" And their friend, the other photographer I was standing next to handed them the keys to the car. I laughed and said, "You guys can't take it, c'mon?!" And they said back, "Oh you know you are cold too!" Yes. Yes I was. And when I got back into my car I saw how red my face was!

I saw one guy getting out of his car with a short sleeve polo shirt on and I had a look of shock on my face as a cold gust of wind swept my hair across my face. He must have seen my face because he started laughing. So I owned up to my obvious shock and said, "Are you crazy! It's freeeeezing!!" and he replied back with a chattering jaw, "Yeeeaaaaaah, I'm regretting not bringing a jacket with me." Uh, yeah.

I know a lot of people who are in places that get snow all the time think, "what's the big deal?!" I'm a girl from the desert. This is a big deal for me. I loved it. Though I'm grateful to not have snow all the time, this was the perfect amount of snow for me to enjoy this year's winter.

Sorry, enough talking...here are just a few (but a lot) of the pictures I captured.



Second favorite shot of the day...but a really close second. I love that you can see just enough down into the valley to see there is only snow at Red Rock.










My favorite shot of the day. I was in my car driving slowly and saw this awesome bare tree. I looked behind and saw no cars were coming, stopped and took the picture.

No comments: